Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lofty Conversations

With the recent passing of Hobbes the cat, Mason and I have started talking about what it means to die. Tonight he asked me "how do you die?", "where do you go?", "where is heaven?", "will Hobbes come back?"... you can imagine we had a long dialogue. He kept asking the same questions until he was satisfied with my answer.

I opted to simplify the truth and talk about how we all die some day. Then I shared with him about how Jesus died for our sins, but he rose again and is in heaven. If we believe in him, that he's God's son then we get to go to heaven to. Needless to say, Mason's excited to see what God's "house" looks like.

I'm so thankful for the hope we have in external life through Jesus Christ. I can't imagine trying to explain death to my son if we turned in to nothing more than dust...I think he'd be pretty sad, too.

Some day I'm excited to share more with him.

If you've ever thought about some of the questions Mason asked tonight, here's how you can know for certain that you're going to heaven (excerpt from Walnut Creek Comm. Churches website):

The Way to Heaven

In order to have a personal and meaningful relationship with God, you must first understand that:

  • You are a sinner. Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
  • There is a price to be paid for sin. Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages of sin is death.”
  • Jesus died to pay for your sins. Romans 5:8 says, “But God demonstrates His love toward us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
  • God wants to save you if you will turn from your sins and trust Him — If you do, you will be saved. Romans 10:13 says, “For everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.”

If you would like to receive eternal life right now, all you must do is pray. Simply tell God that you realize you are a sinner and that you need Him to forgive you of your sins, that you want Him to save you and take you to heaven with Him when you died. If you ask Him, He will do exactly that!



No comments: